Thursday, October 27, 2011

T-Town Never Down

I had a really weird feeling the day before and the day of 4.27.2011. Like something just wasn’t quite right. For days forecasters had been talking about a significant risk for tornado outbreaks. Well here in Alabama you get pretty used to tornado sirens. It seems like they go off every other day in the spring. Since forecasters were so adamant that if would be a record breaking weather afternoon many businesses closed early.
Andrew and I decided to go hang out at my parent’s house (since we live on the highest hill in our neighborhood) along with Rachel and a several of her friends. Basically everyone except my brother Brad was there. Most of the college kids studied for finals while the rest of us watched weather coverage, as that was ALL that was on T.V.  In our house James Spann the Weather Man is the guy to be watching on bad weather days. We were glued to the T.V. as we watched a  tornado rip through Cullman. It’s interesting the things you remember on days like that. One thing that stands out in my mind was a text from Pastor Randy that said: Cullman just got smoked by a tornado…and I felt so thankful we were spared…not knowing that Tuscaloosa would be hit next.

A short while later we all saw this on the T.V.


It was a pretty terrifying sight. I had never seen a tornado that big (nor do I ever want to again) It is the most surreal feeling to watch something like that unfold in front of you and a helpless feeling to know people were dying (you just knew they had to be when you saw how big it was). Imagine this monster barreling in your general direction and then BAM the T.V. cuts off. We all rushed to the bathroom with mattresses over our heads. My sister looked at me and asked if I wanted to put my wedding dress in the shower with us (it was only a few weeks until my wedding) and so we did…zipped up snug in its bag with us in the bathroom to ride out the storm. I vividly remember Kelly Anne Lee opening her Bible and it was right smack in the middle of Job. (I am not sure if she even remembers that) But I thought, gosh I hope that is not a sign of what is to come. I remember Andrew calling his Mom and telling her that he loved her. Then we hunkered down. It was only for a few short but long minutes and my Dad told us we were all clear. We couldn’t fathom the destruction and suffering just a few miles away. We all began trying to text and call people we knew but with little success. Trying to get through on a cell was impossible. Facebook became our main source of information and when we began to hear of landmarks and places that were obliterated a little bit of panic kicked in. Right in the path was my brother and both sets of grandparents. My parents rushed out of the house to try and check on them all.  They were able to find my brother who at the time was living in  Crimson Place which is right beside Cedar Crest, which was decimated. Across the road still stood my brother’s apartment complex…somewhat damaged but standing. How does one place get destroyed and the place next door remain largely untouched? That is the hand of God. 

The apartments left standing are his


We were not able to get my grandparents by phone for days nor even get to their homes because the roads were blocked with debris. We did not know if they were okay, if they were hurt, if there homes were still there… That is when you just have to TRUST the Lord.

The next day Andrew and Brad set out to help wherever they could. I had to go back to work. I work at the Area Agency on Aging and we assisted in the Disaster Recovery Centers to connect people with much needed help and resources. I remember going through my list of my clients, calling to check on them to see if they were okay. I thought am I really having to do this? It was like something you see happen somewhere else. It took a few days, but finally all my clients were accounted for and for the most part okay.
Andrew was able to make it over to Gram and Pop’s and check on them. They were alive and well.  The tornado went right over them yet their house was mostly untouched. Again, the Hand of God. Someone else was able to go check on Grandmama and Grandaddy and they were okay too, just without power for a week. Again, the Hand of God.  I don’t know why some places are destroyed and some people die while others are not touched, but I am thankful God’s hand was over my family that day.

A few days after the storm I was finally able to venture out to some of the most damaged areas. 






Fast Forward to a month or so after the storm… One of my clients lost EVERYTHING (material wise) except the clothes off her back. She is 72 years old and spent the night of the tornado roaming up and down 15th street in a daze. She lived right next to Hobby Lobby.

Andrew and I were attending a revival one night at Snow Hinton Park. It was set up by our pastor and several others to be a place of prayer and praise and healing and hope. I invited her to come meet us there. Well, when she pulled up Andrew looked at me and said, I know that lady. She jumped out of her car and began to say that is my baby that is my baby and wrapped her arms around Andrew in a big ole hug. I said how in the world do you know each other. Come to find out she was the FIRST person Andrew came up to when he and Brad set out to see where they could help the day after the tornado. She was sitting on all that was left of her home (her steps) and Andrew came up and offered her a smile and some water. That is NO coincidence. That again, is the HAND OF GOD. 

Today, October 27, 2011, six months after that awful day, signs of life are coming back to Tuscaloosa.




Andrew and I were riding through Forest Lake one night and saw these sunflowers coming up in the midst of the debris still left behind. Right near the start of the tornado is a huge sunflower field and all of these seeds were picked up by the tornado and scattered.


Alabama Football is in Full Swing


 and Taco Casa re-opened on 15th street just last week


It is easy for those who didn’t lose a home or a business or a loved one to move on and go about our lives. But for those who did, it is still a struggle. Let us all be mindful of and in prayer for them.

I am proud to Call T-Town Home and look forward to coming back stronger and better than ever.












No comments:

Post a Comment